Without boundaries

     Around January of this year, Vaishutai told me to watch a Pakistani serial - Be Intehaa. After our conversation, I started watching it. After a couple of episodes where I see the guy stalking the girl, I stopped watching it. Most desi tv-series/movies romanticize stalking, and it really bothers me. As a girl growing up in India, having experienced some parts of it, it is an absolute no-no for me. I told Vaishutai, that the series is not like Zindagi Gulzar Hai or Humsafar, and that I didn't like it much. I told her the stalking bothered me a lot. Vaishutai told me to watch the series, as she said it gets better.

     I didn't have time to give the series one more chance. Post corona, and post her death, I increasingly kept thinking about the tv-series. I started watching the tv-series recently, and after every episode shed a few tears at the missed opportunity of discussing the show with her. I still didn't like the romance angle much, but watched it b'coz I knew that she had watched it and b'coz we had talked about it. Half-way through the series, I find out that the protagonist has cancer.

      So many of the discussions, the emotional upheavals in the family, were so similar to what we as a family had experienced. Before Vaishutai's cancer diagnosis, I don't think I ever understood what grief was, or could ever truly understand movies about cancer patients. How I wish I could have seen the tv-series when she told me to. How I wish I would have talked about some of the things that were unsaid. 

    I now realize, how much I do love and cherish the ones I am close to. The regular conversations, the movie discussions, the presence. How we take everything for granted! We don't realize how much we love our loved ones till they are gone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Progeny of Love

Hushed Voices!

Missing her